Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Return to London

Oi everyone,

Well, we are back in London where it is an invigorating 6 degrees - the heat and humidity of South America is already quickly becoming but a sweet memory (although we didn't smell too sweet, especially Dave).

Rio was fun - we were all a little paranoid about being robbed, warned as we were by everyone we passed - even the street surveyor gave warning! Thankfully, none of us was robbed in broad daylight.

The arrival into Rio on Thursday night was spectular - I have never witnessed such an awesome arrival into a city with Jesus sitting on his mountain on one side and the city/bay spread out on the other. Friday was absolutely pouring with rain which dampened our spirits somewhat, but visiting the slums of Rio (there are many and the history of the slums is quite interesting) in the rain certainly put things into perspective - they have no gutter system so the streets were agush with rain water and all sorts of other nasties.

Friday night was spent in a samba house and then Dave and I went clubbing at Six - I have never had such an ego boost in all of my life! Thank god Dave was there to rescue me from the crowd of men encircling me 2 deep. Naturally, I was on my best behaviour and declined all invitations, but definitely a compliment nonetheless - nothing better than to hear so many men telling you that you are beautiful!

Sat was cloudy, but Jesus emerged from the clouds so we trooped up there to get some photos. Lunch was spent at the cafe where the song Girl from Ipanema was written (one of 3 songs that we had in our heads the whole time we were in Rio) and the afternoon was spent shopping.

Sunday was an absolutely glorious day. I went hang gliding, which was such an adreneline rush and I couldn't have hoped for a better day - stunning. The other girls headed straight for the beach and Dave went to Sugar Loaf, another mountain with spectacular views.

We departed Sunday afternoon and got back to London yesterday morning. Suprisingly, no dramas with Air Iberia. Kinda strange to be in a cold city with sunburnt feet and the thought that not 48 hours ago I was sitting at Copacabana with an icecream in my hands that was melting quicker than I could eat it because of the heat...

Will place photos on here soon. Don't worry - will pick out the best of the bunch of 2000 + photos!!

Summary: It truly WAS a trip of a lifetime. It will probably take me a good week to absorb all that was achieved on the holiday.

Few lessons learned:

1. Take travel tissues wherever you go - you never know if they are going to supply toilet paper (if there is even a ceramic toilet) and squatting over a hole with no paper on hand is not very pleasant...

2. Bring elastic bands to the jungle - wrap around ankles to avoid any nasties climbing up your pants.

Chao

Laura

1 Comments:

At 2:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is
accessible on web?

my web blog How to detox your Body
my website > Natural Detoxifiers For Your Body

 

Post a Comment

<< Home